A beautiful smile is about more than just good looks. It’s about your confidence level, the way you feel inside, and your quality of life. If you’re unhappy with your smile, you may look unapproachable, unhappy, and it might be difficult in social situations – and even at work. If you have missing teeth, it’s even worse for your confidence. Fortunately, you aren’t required to live like this. You can improve your smile, make yourself look friendlier and more confident, and you can change your life with dentures. They’re not just for those who reach a certain age. They’re for those who want to make a positive change in their life.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a set of removable teeth you put in your mouth to make up for the missing teeth you have. Your dentist can provide you with dentures in a full or partial capacity, which means you have options when your teeth are imperfect. Complete dentures are often used to help people who have their teeth removed completely due to oral health issues. Partial dentures are used to help attach replacement teeth in a smaller capacity to your mouth using a pink plastic base that matches your gums.
How do Dentures Work?
If you’re in need of dentures, our team of professionals at Wilson Dental will discuss your options with you. If you need complete dentures due to damage or advanced gum disease that prevents us from being able to save the teeth you have, we may need to remove your existing teeth. The process for doing this is lengthy, and we’ll outline it here for you.
- Removal of old teeth: This process isn’t long, but it does require anesthetic and it does require time in the dental chair.
- New teeth are made: this requires fitting your dentures to your mouth and custom creating them for you.
- Healing time: It takes eight to 12 weeks for the gums to heal after your existing teeth have been removed, and that means you will live your life without any teeth during this time.
- Insertion of dentures: Once your gums heal completely and your dentures are ready to go, your dentist will help you insert them and show you how they work. You’ll learn to care for them, use them, and keep them clean.
If you need partial dentures, the process is a little different. If you still have some of your natural teeth, you won’t need a full set of dentures. Your dentist will create a bridge for your mouth that helps attach your partial dentures into your mouth while allowing them to keep your natural teeth in place. Your denture will keep your natural teeth from shifting and adjusting, which means your smile will remain as natural as possible.
Many people who are facing the need for dentures have some questions about the process.
- Will I look different? No, your dentures are made to match the shape of your original teeth and mouth, so you will only look like an improved version of yourself with healthy teeth.
- Will I have to change my eating habits? No, but you should be very careful eating anything hard, sticky, or difficult to chew.
- Will it hurt? Dentures don’t hurt, but they might take a few weeks to grow accustomed to.
- Will I speak the same? You might experience some trouble pronouncing certain words, but a little practice makes perfect.
If you are missing teeth or facing the probability of losing all your teeth, contact Wilson Dental today to schedule a consultation with one of our dental professionals. We can answer all of your questions, ease your fears, and show you how dentures, complete or partial, can change your life for the better.